Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Snorkelling at sunrise

The alarm clock rang at 5:30am and by the time we walked out to the hotel jetty at 6am, the boatman was waiting beside his jukong. The jukong is a narrow deep-hulled boat with two wooden floaters attached to the sides, giving it the look of a floating spider. We soon set off for a morning of fishing and snorkelling.



It was a beautiful misty morning and the sea was calm as a pond. The sun rose from the horizon and painted the skies bright hues of orange and gold - it was a sight to behold. We sat quietly in the boat enjoying God's handiwork as I hummed a hymn or two. There were other fishing boats out and about and the boatmen started trading tips on where the fish were biting.



After a 30 minute boatride, we arrived at Blue Lagoon for our snorkelling session. And that's where my embarrasment began. Plunging into the cold water, I couldn't quite control my floating devices and ended up flip-flopping all over the place. Instead of being face down, I kept flipping on my back - much to the amusement of my companions. It was such a funny sight that I couldn't help laughing myself.

Eventually, Li Ki managed to get a hold of me and showed me how to snorkel. When I bravely let go of the boat, a new world opened up to me. The corals were all manner of shapes, sizes and colours while the colourful fish were all within arm's reach..amazing! Despite swallowing sea water because of the loose snorkelling gear, I enjoyed paddling around the lagoon. By the way, did you know that plankton stings?

When I surfaced and made my way back to the boat, that's when I noticed queasiness starting at the bottom of my stomach. It was all downhill from there. Throughout our next round of activities, which was fishing, I was struggling with sea-sickness and nausea. Needless to say, I ended up feeding the fish instead of catching them..eeuuuww!

By the end of the morning, Li Ki and Wayan still managed to catch 3 jacket fish and we're both looking forward to a dinner of fried fish with sambal and rice tonight.

No comments: