Monday, December 25, 2023

Happy New Year 2024



The last time I published an annual newsletter was in December 2015.  As I wrestle again with the challenge of compressing a whole year's worth of living into one post, I am reminded why I gave it up.  This requires discipline. Of thought, emotion and choice.  To sift through the overwhelming crush of daily living and courageously pick out the things that are of significance.  To showcase to the world what we value, and risk being judged.  

But as Aeschylus once said, "Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times." These are the choices I've made this year on a quest for happiness for myself, and the people dear to me.

Two years ago, I agreed to join Nansen - a blockchain analytics startup serving global crypto investors from Singapore - with a job description that simply read "help out with HR stuff". Those five little words laid the foundation for the biggest adventure in this second half of my professional career. 

Leading HR (or People as it's known today) for a fully-remote company of 100 people across 35 countries requires a deep re-thinking of many of the people practices I thought I knew.  While many of the fundamentals still apply; the audience, context and tools have changed dramatically. And I must change along with it.  I'm really excited about pioneering practices for the new kind of company that has emerged from the global pandemic.  Building alongside leaders and a team who care as much about the technology as they do about people.  Such a rare and refreshing combination!

Other highlights that stand out this year include:
  • Taiwan trip with my high-school friends in the spring.  Totally unprepared for the hiking and trekking; but the enforced brush with nature and fresh air was exactly what I needed to relax and rejuvenate
  • Hubbing in London with my People Team.  We worked together in person for 3 weeks, mapping out strategies and the operational cadence required to achieve our targets.  Living and working in Central London was really a dream come true for me.  Watching Hamilton in the West End and eating my way around the world cuisines at my doorstep was absolutely fabulous!
  • Summer holidays in UK allowed me to return to Birmingham University and enjoy charms of country living in Worcestershire.  A big thank you to Cris for her hospitality and introducing me to Otto - the first and only dog I've ever loved.
  • Taking over caregiving responsibilities for my mother from my sister Julie, who returned to California to resume her nursing career.  Monthly trips to Penang became the norm from June onwards.  Coping with the symptoms of dementia is as frustrating for the patient as it is for the caregiver.  I wish I could say I'm more patient now; but I'd be lying. Fully dependent on God's grace with this one.
  • Living in Penang has been a journey of discovery.  Thanks to the flexibility of remote work, I'm able to easily step into the culture and heritage of my father's birthplace, which is now just a 30 minute drive from home
  • Speaking about driving, I finally got my Singapore driving license.  After 8 torturous months of tests, lessons and more tests, I am driving again. Legally. 😉
  • Fangirling for my favourite Korean idol and actor Lee Junho when he stopped by Singapore on 8 December!

 Enjoying family time at Taiping Lake

  
Back in Priorsfield (University of Birmingham)


Hanging out with Cris and Otto - the most wonderful dog in the world
Saranghae Oppa Lee Junho 😍💕

Thank you to all my family and friends who've reached out via calls, chats, social media and in person.  I am grateful for every one of you.

" I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 
always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy." 
Philippians 1:3-4


No comments: