Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Angkor Wat

Aunty Jo Jo's Angkor Wat dream comes true

Every history buff dreams of becoming an archaeologist and I am no different. In many of my "Indiana Jones" moments, I have imagined myself either exploring the lost temples of Angkor in Cambodia or Petra in Jordan. As I gazed on Angkor Wat last Saturday 21 June 2008 at 2:20pm, the first of my dreams had come true.

Angkor Wat is the most majestic of all the temples in Siem Reap. It forms a giant rectangle measuring 1.5km by 1.3km that is surrounded by a moat. Its structure is imposing, its layout is highly symmetrical, its carvings are meticulous and the atmosphere is just...indescribable. And when one pauses to think that all this is 1000 years old and built entirely by hand, the glory of the Khmer (Cambodian) empire is beyond any doubt.



Apsara carvings are featured all over the temple complex

Like most visitors, I too fell under the spell of the beguiling apsara (heavenly nymph) carvings that adorn the walls and columns of Angkor Wat. Every one denotes an individual expression, hairstyle and costume, although I was less fascinated by the bare breasted fashions compared to some of my fellow male tourists :-)

I returned on my last morning to view the expansive bas reliefs that surround the temple and they are truly astonishing. The scenes from the Mahabharata, Suryavarman's army and Churning of the Ocean of Milk have to be seen to be believed.

One day, I hope that you too will have your Angkor dreams come true.

No comments: