Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fitting end to a wild week

It's been a CRAZY week. There's been non-stop news of financial markets in turmoil, bank failures, billion dollar rescues, job losses, political upheavals in Malaysia and melamine-tainted Chinese milk in my fridge. By noon on Friday, I was ready for a BIG drink. And I got my wish.

Sid and John, whom I know through work, invited me out for a night on the town and I gladly accepted. I've heard so much about the great nightlife in Puxi but haven't experienced much of it due to extensive work travel and living in sanitary Pudong. I was ready to *PARTY*.


Aunty Jo-Jo and the boys ready for their dinner of roast duck and scorpions

We met at Quan Ju De restaurant on Huai Hai Lu, where we had fried scorpions for dinner. Yes, you read that right - scorpions - for dinner. The restaurant is actually more well-known for its Beijing kaoya (roast duck) but I thought the arachnoids looked more interesting. In its fried form, the scorpions were crunchy and tasty, a little like eating deep fried prawn shells. I had three pieces and am still sitting here, alive and kicking. Although I must admit my tongue feels a little numb :-)

Five large bottles of beer later, we were ready for more action and debated where to go next. Sid and John are big music fans, with a preference for techno, but this Aunty was in the mood for a more mellow setting, preferably with a margarita and a cigar. Being the gentlemen that they are, I got my wish...again.


At the Tara Bar with our drinks and cigars

We jumped into a taxi and headed for Fuxing Park in the heart of the French Concession. Sid knew of this great little lounge called Tara Bar which served absinthe, cigars and a very cute English bartender. Heh..heh...Aunty Jo-Jo could hardly believe her luck. Why hadn't she spent more time clubbing in Shanghai instead of working??

With a margarita in one hand, and a Romeo & Julieta no. 3 in the other, I was at peace with the world. Having banned talk about work, we had a wonderful time chatting about travel, music, dreams and ambitions (among other more PG-rated topics...hahaha) We even listened to some music that Sid had composed and produced - very impressive.

At 12:30 am, we left the bar and wandered around looking for another live music venue. But most of the places were jam-packed and playing Latin American music which didn't quite feel right, so we decided to call it a night and head home.

I want a big THANK YOU to Sid and John for their company. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and fitting end to a wild week.

P/S: And to those of you who are wondering if I've taken up smoking, not to worry. I only smoke cigars and my limit is 2 per year - usually reserved for big occasions and tough weeks.

No comments: