Sunday, October 05, 2008

Simple Pleasures

I'm back in Singapore and loving it! This weekend, I even got to try something I've never done before - kite-flying. Yes, I've jumped out a plane, run off a cliff, climbed a mountain but Aunty Jo Jo has never flown a kite until today.

I often spend time with my long-time friend, Jaclyn and her family whenever I'm back in Singapore. Her boys, Justin and Jared, are my godchildren and they have a special place in my heart so I take every opportunity to spoil them with gifts. This time, I brought back a large eagle kite from Shanghai. So, off we went to East Coast Park (ECP) to try it out.


Aunty Jo Jo with Jaclyn, Jimmy, Justin and Jared (yes...we love our "J"s)

Boys being boys, they managed to fit the pieces of the bird together without any instructions. Thank goodness...I would have tied the string to the beak! Very soon, we were proudly showing off our unusual kite to all the Singaporeans dotting the shores of ECP.


Jared, Justin and Aunty Jo Jo showing off our kite


Up, up and away!

We spent a happy hour watching Archie (that's what we named our eagle) soaring in the bright blue sky, while enjoying the delicious sea breeze. We also traded stories and jokes between gulps of green tea and handfuls of Lay's potato chips, while the boys tussled over the latest collection of "cool" songs on my iPod. These are the simple pleasures that I'm so grateful for, especially since I'm on the road so often.

No comments: