Friday, August 17, 2007

Australia - Sydney

Aunty Jo-Jo@ Circular Quay, Sydney

Sydney, Australia was my home for over two years.

I fell in love with it at first sight, as countless others have. Once I got over the seduction of the the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, I began to explore other facets of the city. Here's a sample of what I discovered...

  • Sydney Olympics 2000 was another dream come true! Living right of the city was the best thing that could have happened. I watched volleyball, badminton, marathon and best of all - I witnessed Cathy Freeman cross the finish line to win the 400m gold medal! That night, I learnt to sing Advance Australia Fair, the national anthem
  • Music is alive and well in Sydney. Together with my best friend Trish, I heard some of the best live music ever. I was introduced to the sounds of Van Morrison at the Basement, Kylie Minogue at Sydney Entertainment Centre and even the Harlem Gospel Choir at Angel Theatre
  • Food is an art form. I learnt this from some of my friends, Glenn and Pierre, who are professional chefs. Glenn taught me that freshly-squeezed organic orange juice is one of the best things in the world. And Pierre taught me that IKEA knives are a no-no(at least, not if you want to be taken seriously ;-)
  • Alternative lifestyles are OK. We are all different and we need to learn how to embrace those differences, while still holding on to our personal values and beliefs

No comments: