Thursday, March 27, 2008

Questions...

As the departure date for Shanghai draws nearer, a thousand questions are racing through my mind. What's life going to be like? Is it safe? What kind of service apartment shall I get? Shall I take private Mandarin lessons or go to a class? Shall I live in Pudong or Puxi? When shall I visit Beijing, Taiwan and Hongkong for work?

Yes, I've lived abroad before. But Singapore, England and Australia were relatively easier to settle into because I can speak the language and had researched these countries extensively. China is different. It's probably the first real "foreign" country I'll live in. On a scale of expatriate hardship postings, it probably rates a 2.5 (with 3 being hardest) For a "banana" like me, anyway.

Nevertheless, it's an exciting opportunity and I'll take it one day at a time - with much prayer.

No comments: