Friday, February 22, 2008

"All my bags are packed...

...and I'm ready to go" are the opening lines of the 70's hit song entitled "Leaving on a Jet Plane". When I learnt to the sing it as a child, little did I know that it would turn out to be the story of my life :-)

So after a quiet 6 weeks, I'm finally back on a plane heading for San Francisco. This time it's a little more interesting because I'm flying out from Changi Airport's brand new Terminal 3 ! I've been curious to find out if the new facility lives up to all the media hype and publicity.

Aunty Jo-Jo at the SIA check-in counters, Terminal 3
(Psst...check out the new Gucci tote)

The first thing I noticed was that there were more T3 service staff in orange t-shirts than passengers. One of them (a friendly "uncle" ) asked me where I was going and helpfully pointed me in the check-in counters after re-assuring himself that I was at the right terminal.

This warm reception at the kerb contrasted sharply with the mood once I stepped through the main doors. The terminal was BIG, BRIGHT and EMPTY. There was no one around at 4pm! I couldn't find any fellow passengers to take a photo, so I went back outside to ask the friendly uncle for help. He obliged and I got my historic photo of T3.

The mass of marble, steel and glass is modern and stylish - albeit a little cold. The same goes for the check-in and immigration process - it was clinically efficient.




The very big and quiet Terminal 3 of Changi Airport

Once inside, I noticed almost all the shops were open, but the patrons were few. It was a breeze finding my way round the duty-free shops. One of the sales people finally explained why it was so quiet - it's because the new terminal is only operating at 60% capacity. The business class lounge also had low occupancy but the buffet spread was much more interesting than the facility at T2. One thing that I didn't like were the common-hold areas at the terminal gates. Passengers waiting to board their flights have to share seating areas, and it gets a little chaotic when boarding calls are made at the same time.

So, what's the final verdict?

Changi Airport has always been my favourite but I'm a little ambivalent about the new facilities. The old Terminal 2 had a familiar identity - despite the musty carpets, narrow corridors and gaudy orchid gardens. T3 just feels cold and impersonal despite its sleek, sophisticated facade. I could be at any airport anywhere in the world.

No comments: