Monday, February 11, 2008

Almost home

Yes, I'm KL-born and bred, but Penang is also special. It's my father's hometown and this is where my parents have chosen to retire. The laid-back island lifestyle, heavenly food and close family & friends are the main attractions.

Penang is almost home because there are so many scenes that stir up familiar and comforting memories for me.

Let's take the canopy of century-old trees along Scotland Road as an example. They seem to whisper secrets of a genteel past; a capsule of nature that hints of a bygone era.



Then there's the Buddhist temple in Ayer Itam which I visit once a year. This is where the memorial plaques of my paternal grandparents are placed. I usually bring some flowers to place in front of the memorial cabinet, while others around me burn joss-sticks. My Christian faith requires that I show respect in a different way, but my visits are no less sincere.


My parents and their family at Bayan Baru Methodist Church, Penang

There's also a wonderful sense of community and "kampung"ness in the warmth of Penang people. I'm especially pleased that my parents are surrounded by a family of believers at the Bayan Baru Methodist Church. I've never seen them so happy, engaged and involved in church life. Seeing these pictures of Dad & Mum heartily embracing their brothers and sisters, clearly God is good.

And last but not least, Penang has always been about family. This is where most of my closest relatives live. So this is where we all return to for the Chinese New Year reunion dinner.

This is where my memories are made.

No comments: