Monday, January 21, 2008

Home is where the heart is

For all this talk of travel, many often wonder if I have a home. I most certainly do! It's a quiet little condo, which welcomes me with open arms every time I step off a plane.


What I especially love about this place is that it houses my collection of bric-a-brac from all over the world. Everytime I look around the apartment, I'm reminded how blessed I am to have travelled so extensively. There are painted horses from Sweden, an old map from England, porcelain houses from Holland, wooden carvings from Indonesia, posters of art exhibitions from San Francisco, a plaster cocker spaniel named "Petals" from Eumundi and a peacock feather duster named "Lady Penelope Featherbraine" from Canberra!




When I first opened my home to friends, some were suprised by the decor which I've playfully described as "Laura Ashley meets minimalist". It's largely inspired by the shabby chic revolution that swept Australia in the late nineties. And thanks to the large collection of embroidered pictures by my mother (which is undoubtedly a family heirloom), it's pretty, comfortable and homey. Quite unlike the owner, perhaps ;-)


The view from the balcony is quite pleasant although there aren't any rolling hills or gentle streams. Just a vast expanse of expensive residential homes which light up a pretty scene at night. And it's also a great place to view fireworks from all over PJ and KL during the New Year and Merdeka celebrations.

I look forward to welcoming all my friends to my home sometime...soon...I hope.

No comments: