Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Student days in England

Having read through my 2007 posts, I'm startled at the lack of information on my brief sojourn in England. After being so enamoured by the glories of Great Britain as a child, it was dream come true for me in 1995 when I packed my bags and headed for the home of Shakespeare, Wordsworth and Austen. I woke up instead in Birmingham - the home of the Indian balti!

(L-R) Martin, Deena, Joanna & Tariq outside Priorsfield, the MBA graduate school

Thanks to the generosity of the British Council, I received a scholarship to study for an MBA at the University of Birmingham in 1995-1996. It was the start of all my travel adventures and I relished every moment: new environment, new friends, new culture - it was wonderful! As a Chevening scholar, I was determined to emerge as top student. As a curious student, I was determined to see as much of the UK as I could. And so began a disciplined regime of long study periods on weekdays, and a relentless pursuit of FUN on weekends!


Aunty Jo-Jo enjoying the autumn scenes in Cambridge

One of my first weekends away was spent in Cambridge, where Harvey was studying...oops..I mean "reading" Land Economy at Robinson College. It's a beautiful ancient town filled with intellectuals but strangely enough, I seem to remember more about pub crawls and a lovely sandwich place named Gardenia's (which I was constantly calling Daffodils). I even attended my first May Ball with Harvey & Carl and survived till the next morning, although I remember passing out for a little while after my 2nd tequila shot! :-P


Aunty Jo-Jo standing under the Rose Window at York Cathedral

There were other spiritual (and sober!) weekends spent visiting churches and cathedrals. I've always admired ancient architecture and merry ole England serves up a fine treat! Although the English churches aren't quite as grand as the European cathedrals, the intricate details and surrounding countryside leaves an indelible mark on visitors. Having now seen many of the great cathedrals on the Continent, English history and architecture remain a firm favourite.

Aunty Jo-Jo striking an arty, Bohemian pose on a rooftop in Golders Green

Ahhhh...this is one of my favourite photos of London! It was taken on the balcony of Chris' flat in Golders Green, North London where I spent many happy daytime hours sunning, reading and chatting. That was usually followed by nights of boozing, clubbing and risque theatre productions...heh..heh..

And despite all the (mis)adventures, I didn't turn into an alcoholic and returned home with an MBA & a distinction!

P/S: I really must apologise for my horrid hairstyle in those days *shivers* But what to do? Student mah!

No comments: