Friday, January 04, 2008

Memories of Champagne

It's only the fourth day of the New Year, and I'm already lying in bed with a fever..sigh. In need of some cheering up, I decided to look through old photos and found this lovely one which was taken on my first trip to France.


(L - R) Joanna, Andrew, Nathalie & Jean Pierre saying SALUT!

After getting my Mercedes (as most Malaysian students do), my housemate Andy & I decided to drive down to France to visit his good friends, Nathalie & Jean Pierre. They lived in Chalons-sur-Marne, which is conveniently located between Paris & Champagne. Not one to miss out on alcoholic beverages in those days, I jumped at the chance to visit one of the famous champagne houses.

It was a nice-enough tour of vineyards, grapes, cellars etc. But the real fun happened when we got to taste the "freshly-made" champers. I love bubbly! I also wanted a souvenir and that's when I got my first dose of the famous French snootiness.

Here's the conversation I had with one of the staff from the champagne house (which will remain unnamed - you'll find out why later)

Aunty Jo Jo (AJJ): Hello! I'm visiting France for the first time and have really enjoyed your tour.

French Guy (FG): Zank yoo

AJJ: I was wondering if it would be possible to have souvenir. May I keep one of these champagne flutes?

FG: Zorree..Yoo may not ave ze floot as a zooveneer. Eet ees not allowed.

AJJ: OK, then is there a shop where I can buy one to keep?

FG: Zorree..Vee zoo not zell it to ze public.

AJJ: Is there a manager I can speak to about this?

FG: Zorree..Ze manajere ees bizee. Au revoir mademoiselle! (and turns round and walks away!)

I was a little upset by this time and my friends noticed. So what did the 2 gallant European gentlemen do? They helped me nick 2 empty champagne flutes and smuggled it out in the sleeves of their jackets!

Now you know why the champagne house remains anonymous :-D

No comments: