Thursday, July 31, 2008

May weekend in Brussels

Every once in a while, my body slows down to remind me that I need to rest. Today is such a day when I woke up with a fever and headache, forcing me to cancel all my appointments and travel. But after a couple of hours' sleep, I find myself browsing through old travel photos and lo and behold...I'm on the road again (in my mind anyway).

In May 2007, I was working in the Hague for a couple of weeks when I decided to call up my friend, Martin Riemen, who lives in Belgium with his family. Martin & I were classmates from our MBA days at the University of Birmingham. One minute into the conversation, I received orders to get on a train to Brussels and they wouldn't take no for an answer!

And that's how I ended up in the capital of Belgium for the first time. As the seat of the European Union, Brussels is at the centre of all things European. The first thing that struck me were the signs - there's French and Dutch sitting side by side, because they're both the official languages of Belgium.

Armed with a guidebook, I made my way to the beautiful square known as La Grande Place / Grote Markt. Staring at the beautiful 400-year old tower and guild houses, there's such a pleasing aesthetic appeal, you know this is not Disneyland but the real thing. The square is surrounded by old shops selling everything from
fine Belgian lace and chocolates to tacky fridge magnets. I enjoyed the scene from a little cafe, as I tucked into a wafel, the national dessert piled high with strawberries, cream and chocolate sauce....yum...


Aunty Jo-Jo visits the Mannekin Pis & rubs a statue to find "true love"

One just can't help but chuckle at the irreverent symbol of Brussels - the Mannekin Pis - a little bronze statue of a boy answering nature's call. There are many legends about its origin but my favourite is one that tells of a little boy who saved the city from being bombed by French troops, when he put out a lit fuse by pee-ing on the gunpowder! This little statue has hundreds of outfits presented by Belgians and visiting foreign dignitaries.



Aunty Jo Jo with the Riemen family: Martin, Claudia, Lisa, Jan and Sara

But as always, the best part of any trip is the people, especially those who welcome you into their homes. I was thrilled to stay with the Riemens and the kids were all over me like a new pet. Lisa, Jan and Sara had never met a real Chinese up close before, so I was a curiosity. They took turns to sit on my lap, danced and sang for me.

We spent a lovely evening with a barbecue, bottles of Belgian fruit beer and a trampoline. Martin & I laughed over old times, talked about our careers and future ambitions but most of all, we revelled in the cosy comfort of friendship. Needless to say, I have very fond memories of Belgium.

No comments: