Tuesday, October 06, 2009

All good things must come to an end...

...so that better ones can begin!

October has arrived and together with it, another first day at work. I've taken on another regional L&OD role with a multinational oil & gas services company based in Singapore. And so, I am declaring, albeit reluctantly, the end to my mid-career break, which is captured in the "Glass Half Full" series.

During the last 6 months, I have been blessed greatly. Thanks to a measure of financial security, I was able to travel freely to meet family and old friends around the world, and make many new ones. So while many of the earlier blog posts have captured stories about the places and activities, it would be remiss of me not to thank many people who have given so generously of their friendship and love.





Firstly, big HUG and KISS to my sister Julie for her love and support these last six months. She is my best friend, and has blessed me greatly with her love, prayers, home, airtickets and even a new computer. Love you!! My heartfelt gratitude also go out to Andrew & Isabel Chatterton who welcomed me into their New York home and Li Ki who has provided a resting place in Singapore. May God bless you all richly for all that you've done!





With Julie coming home for Chinese New Year, and Mum, Dad & I travelling to the US, the Yeoh family spent more time together this year than at any point in the last decade. We travelled to Las Vegas and Bodega Bay for a family vacation. There were adjustments that had to be made to accomodate different tastes and preferences but we survived.

We were also introduced to Julie's new "adopted" family: Jessica Moua and her three kids Josh(11), Faith (9) and Zack (6). Much bonding took place over hotdogs, brownies and cheesecake!




And last but not least, my dreams to revive BBGS finally came true in August. Thanks to a high-flying team of BBGSians, a gala reunion was held at Pavilion KL - the site where my alma mater once stood. The rush of adrenaline and nostalgia that was released from that one day was enough to last several weeks. Personally, I woke up with a hangover the next day despite having only one glass of champagne. In addition to catching up with old friends, I had the opportunity to make new friends amongst the many generations of BBGSians.

So now as I close the chapter on the "Glass Half Full" and embark on new adventures, I want to take some time to crystallise some lessons learnt:


  • Work cannot continue to be the sole focus of my life
  • The search for a compelling reason/purpose continues. What I thought I really wanted to do in retirement didn't take off when I had free time e.g. writing a book
  • I am ready to embark on a God-honouring trajectory, wherever that leads

No comments: