Monday, January 18, 2010

Katong capers

Ever since I started calling Singapore home, there's a little enclave that I find myself gravitating to on many weekends. It's called Katong and it's colourful well-preserved Peranakan architecture and delicious Nyonya food proves popular with many Singaporeans.

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of showing Katong off to a very special visitor. Grace Thomas has been my mentor for almost a decade and it was Grace who inspired me to start a career in HR when we were both at PwC Australia. Grace visits Singapore regulary which gives us a chance to catch up often.





Here's a glimpse of Aunty Jo Jo's personalised Katong tour, which features all my favourite foodie spots:

1) Chin Mee Chin is an authentic Hainanese coffee shop serving the perfect cup of local coffee and kaya toast. We got there so early that the front gates were still closed that we had to sneak in from the back entrance where we discovered the kitchen, ovens and toilets all co-existing happily side by side

2) Next stop was Puteri Mas , where I introduced Grace to the yummiest golden durian puffs in Singapore. The gloriously pungent flavours that explode in your mouth is something that can only be appreciated by true Malaysians...and Singaporeans!

3) And then it was off to Kim Choo, which produces the best Nyonya kuih ever...it even rivals my Amah's which is high praise indeed

4) Last but not least, we ended up at 328 Laksa where we happily slurped down our spicy rice noodles and coconut gravy which hit the spot perfectly...

....BURP....ooops...sorry :-)

No comments: