Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Day Everything Went Right

30 November 2011 is a date I will remember for a very long time. During English classes in school, teachers used to assign essay titles like "The Day Everything Went Wrong". Well, this is the day everything went right.


Lining up for the taping of Anderson at Jazz on Lincoln, Time Warner Center, NYC

Imagine having a birthday and Christmas present rolled into one. That's precisely what my sister Julie gifted me when she surprised me with tickets to Anderson, a day time talk show hosted by my favourite news anchor, Anderson Cooper. We flew to New York City and headed to Jazz On Lincoln at Columbus Circle for the taping of the show. The theme was "Looking Your Best for Less" and co-hosted by Heidi Klum. We scored front row seats and I'm very excited to watch the episode when it airs this Friday, 9 December 2011.


Heidi Klum and Anderson Cooper aka "The Silver Fox"
(Photo courtesy of andersoncooper.com)


Anderson was standing just 3 feet in front of me for most of the show, but we weren't allowed to ask for photos or autographs so I had to just quietly admire from my seat. He wasn't as tall as I expected but his self-deprecating humour and quietly confident personality came through in person as much as it does on TV. It was also great to see the gorgeous Heidi Klum live in person. But what I really enjoyed was the off-camera banter that took place throughout the show. We got to see these celebrities in a normal every-day setting. Then again, how many normal get to tape a TV show every day? :-)


Strolling through Central Park with Julie

Julie and I lunched at Whole Foods at the Time Warner Center before heading across the road to Central Park. It was magical as always and sharing it with my little sister was very special. Although the colours of fall were slightly muted against the cloudy sky and yet, this iconic setting never fails to evoke a sense of thrill in me about the fact that I am in New York City - my favourite city of all time! As we left the park and boarded a bus on Fifth Avenue, we were stopped by President Obama's motorcade, as he arrived in the city to attend some fund-raisers.

We found out by chance that it was the day of the Christmas Tree lighting at Rockefeller Center so we made our way to 48th St and joined the throng of tourists making their pilgrimage around the tree taking photos. And lo and behold, music started playing on the loud speakers and Michael Buble appeared in front of us! He was rehearsing for the show with some back-up singers. That's celebrity sighting number 4 - in one day!

As if I really needed more reasons for loving New York City!


Christmas Tree and Michael Buble at the Rockefeller Center

No comments: