Saturday, December 17, 2011

Getty Collection

At the base of the Santa Monica Mountains lies a collection of art treasures attributed to one man, John Paul Getty, who made his fortune during the Depression of the 1930s. The Getty Collection, while not as extensive as the Met in New York or Musee d Orsay in Paris, is certainly a gem of a collection for lovers of Impressionism.



I was so excited to see two of my favourite paintings in one room. "Irises" by Van Gogh, which I had mistakenly assumed was at the Hermitage in St Petersburg and "Haystacks at Sunrise" by Monet. The Van Gogh painting was one of the first prints I ever bought in England, and it hung at the base of my bed for the duration of my MBA studies in 1996. Some of the other artists I was able to identify included Renoir, Manet, Gaugain, Pissaro, Degas and Toulouse-Lautrec.


Another amazing feature of the Getty is its stunning architecture and vistas which show off the City of Angels in all its glory. Thanks again to Julie for planning this trip so that I could get a dose of high culture and art. It was heavenly!

No comments: