Friday, May 23, 2008

Yi Wen San Bu Zhi

Yesterday, I learnt my first Chinese idiom. "Yi Wen San Bu Zhi" is quite an accurate description of my grasp of Mandarin at the moment. It translates loosely as "One Question, Three Don't Knows" which means "someone who doesn't know anything". I love it :-D

Surprisingly, my Mandarin classes are progressing well and I'm accumulating vocabulary quickly. Unfortunately, I only get to practise on taxi drivers and shop assistants because most of my colleagues speak English at work.

Wu
Lau Ser (or Jennifer) is my language teacher and she's really good fun. She strikes a nice balance between making the lessons fun & practical, while maintaining a sense of discipline.

I'm really glad about signing up for private lessons instead of learning from CDs or videos. I've skipped the Beginner's class and moved straight to Intermediate. Apparently, another way to learn quickly is to find a "black-hair dictionary" or a Chinese boyfriend.

Err...think I'll pass on that one.
Xie Xie buguo wo bu yao! (Thanks but no thanks!)

No comments: