Joanna & her sister, Julie in beautiful San Francisco
So many songs, movies and stories have been written about this little gem of a city in northern California. Any attempt to add to it almost seems futile, but Aunty Jo-Jo will try, nevertheless.
My first trip to San Francisco was in the summer of 2006, to visit my sister Julie, who now lives in the Bay Area. We saw all the famous sights and I found the city very pretty and comfortable, but not overwhelmingly so.
I found myself thoroughtly enjoying:-
- the beautiful tourist sights - Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Pier 39, Red & White ferry ride around the Bay. Despite what anyone says about commercialism, just enjoy it!
- Monet in Normandy exhibition at the Legion of Honor. It was amazing to study so many of my favourite Monets sitting side-by-side: the water-lilies, the haystacks, Rouen Cathedral. I also enjoyed introducing Julie to the world of the Impressionists.
- the ethnic neighbourhoods which integrate so comfortably into each other. I loved the fact that I could have my wonton mee for lunch, and wander down the street to pick up an authentic gelato for dessert!
- SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art). Although I don't really understood modern art, I was lucky to bump into Carmen Garcia, an aspiring artist, who was kind enough to show me all her favourite pieces at the museum
- the wine regions of Napa and Sonoma are a delight to discover. The wines are so different to the Australian vintages I'm used to. Especially last year's Orange Muscat by Villa Mt Eden...yummmm