Monday, August 13, 2007

USA - New York







I LOVE NEW YORK

I really do.

There is no city on earth that "packs a punch" like NYC does. Vibrant - Energetic - Passionate - Cosmopolitan - Colourful

I spent 4 days in the Big Apple in 2000, and it's still one of my favourite places on the planet.

Here are some of my fondest memories:
  • BROADWAY - I had so much fun running around the theatre district. Cats was clever and playful, while Cabaret was hauntingly beautiful (especially the minimalist finale on a bare stage). Fossie was a delightful dance tribute to a legendary coreographer while Les Miserables left me in love with the best Enjolras ever (and I've seen musical four times!)

  • The Statue of Liberty left me breathless - literally. I made it to the top to take in the amazing views of New York, on my very first morning in the city
  • Gray's Papaya hotdogs are fantastic! I've always wanted to try them after watching Matthew Perry chomping on one in "Fools Rush In". I'm proud to declare that I polished off SIX hot dogs over a period of two days. No regrets nor apologies to my cardiologist
  • Greenwich Village, Fifth Avenue, Times Square, the Waldorf Astoria, Trump Tower, Central Park. All these magical names that I'd only ever watched on TV sprang to life that afternoon when I walked 75 blocks from Battery Park back to my hotel on 74th St
  • I was so excited when I stepped onto the observation deck of the Empire State Building. Not because it's an American icon, but more importantly, for being the setting for the last scene of "Sleepless in Seattle". Sigh...very few people would peg me as a die-hard romantic...but...there you go :-)

No comments: