Monday, August 06, 2007

Summer of 96 - Vatican City

Aunty Jo-Jo @ Basilica San Pietro, Vatican City, Rome

I must admit I don't remember feeling very pious during my visit to the Vatican City. We had been told to get there very early in the morning to avoid the curse of the tour buses. When we got there at 8am, there was already a large group of "mature" pilgrims (in wheelchairs and walkers!) ahead of us. So we nimbly and politely manouvered our way past them, and bolted up the circular ramps, towards the Vatican Museum ticket office.

It was well worth it. I remember being inspired by:

  • Michelangelo's "Pieta" - a sad, gentle sculpture of Mary with the body of Jesus resting on her lap. It was hard to believe that the scene before me was entirely made of cold, hard marble: so life-like were the figures, and realistic were the folds of their clothing
  • the Gallery of Maps - an entire corridor plastered from walls to ceilings with ancient maps. Even one used by Vasco da Gama to sail from India to Malaga (our very own Malacca!)
  • the Sistine Chapel - I was lucky enough to find a seat and spent a good 20 minutes gawking at the art masterpiece that cost Michaelangelo his health and eyesight. I was particularly impressed by the "Creation of Adam"
  • the Vatican treasure - the amount of precious art, artefacts and treasure in those museums is just mind-boggling. Botticelli, Raphael, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Rosselini cover wallspace just like Dulux paint covers the walls of my apartment!

No comments: